The Sport of Scent Detection
Sporting Detection is the fun and competitive version of scent detection such as for narcotics, termites or explosives. However, our competitions use legal scents that are easily purchased and stored by the average person. The dog must locate a hidden target scent within an area and alert the handler to its location. It is a true partnership sport in which both partners must rely on one another. The Sporting Detection Dogs Association was established so that dogs and their people can enjoy detection work.
All Dogs Can Play!!
Whether practiced for sport or for fun, sport detection is suited to all types of dogs and handlers.
All breeds, ages, sizes and ability of dogs are welcome. Classes and trials are run so that each search is done by one dog and handler team alone, allowing dogs with space issues to focus and learn. Working individually and without social stressors allows the dog to channel its energy on the task.
No obedience is needed as a prerequisite and boisterous behaviours such as barking and pulling can be part of the game. Unruliness can be curbed by using the dog’s natural desire to “hunt” to develop focus and self-control.
This activity also promotes confidence and provides mental stimulation, ideal for shy, elderly or disabled dogs.
- To encourage all dogs, purebred and mixed, pets, companion, working or show dogs to participate in the sport of scent detection.
- To encourage all handlers, experienced or inexperienced, and of any background to enjoy competing with their dog.
- To provide a venue for dogs to earn titles in Sporting Scent Detection in Canada.
- To maintain a registry of dogs competing.
- To qualify and certify judges so that more trials can be held.
- To maintain a registry of trial results and titles achieved.
- To establish a database of classes, clinics and trials.
- To encourage the humane training of dogs and good sportsmanship.
- To develop this sport in Canada and establish new levels of competition.
- To encourage appreciation for the dog’s incredible scenting abilities.